What infos on Mainpage?[edit source]
That's really important because is the landing page for a new user; some thoughts about it here below.
In the home page I'd clarify a sort of "manifesto", let me point out what I understand s far:
1- Openness: Open-source + open-data The wiki is dedicated to open* stuff. open-source/open-data. Two things a are obviously related. I absolutely agree and I'd stress this point, even if some concepts are independent from the openness, by example the concept of conversational design, or some basic glossary.
2- the wiki as web "communication" pattern
- An how-to page section? Yo conceived this repo as a wiki, just "a la wikipedia" in all communication / content management. That' fully fair and I appreciate totally it but maybe it's not so clear to everyone involved. In my opinion the process that bringing a person to edit an existing page, or "worst", to create a new page, is not trivial. My modest suggestion is to help reader (future author) with all kind of notes / remind in the pages, by example explaining the way to update a content using the discussion panel, etc. So maybe an "HOW TO" section could help
- Video links Why to not link video of your youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjqqTVVBTsxpm0iOhQ1fp9g/videos? --Solyarisoftware (talk) 11:01, 12 December 2021 (CET)
General ideas on this wiki?[edit source]
- This seems a really worthwhile initiative. Regarding the section for Voice related paper, maybe you already have thoughts on this, but I think it would be useful to recommend the kinds of detail desired (Title, Authors, DOI, source link(s), adding categories). Open links (eg Arxiv) would be preferred over those to non-free / subscription sites. Might also want to mention any preferences around pre-review/early access papers and handling updated versions and broken links. Nmstoker (talk) 14:06, 12 November 2021 (CET)
- Another general thought: where do you stand on inclusion of opinion/original information in the wiki? Wikipedia is firmly about referencing information from sources, so they avoid hosting original information and only include things that are backed by references. I'm guessing that there may be grounds for more flexibility here, but deciding where to draw the line is worth considering. In a similar way, deciding where the line is between sharing knowledge vs excess promotion might need judgement. The key open source players do not strike me as being likely to over promote but there could be firms that aren't so reasonable, so having some kind of policy on this might help. Nmstoker (talk) 14:15, 12 November 2021 (CET)
- Copy'n Paste information from internetpages is not what i would prefer. Linking to sources seems is better. I'd hope that we can create a central knowledgebase for all open voice related projects and for that we have to add relevant information here. Over time we could vote some active users for being Admins here and help to control excessive promotion. --Thorsten (talk) 20:23, 12 November 2021 (CET)
Logo ideas[edit source]
As i'm a technology enthusiast, but truely not a design-guy the OpenVoice-Tech logo is "functional". If you have ideas for a more attractive logo please help me :-). --Thorsten (talk) 19:12, 14 November 2021 (CET)
Added box with newest 5 articles on Mainpage[edit source]
Added "Contribution" box on Mainpage[edit source]
If you would like to contribute to this Wiki i've added a box showing requested but not yet created pages on the Mainpage as a starting point. What do you think on this Eltocino, Nmstoker, Florian? --Thorsten (talk) 16:58, 19 November 2021 (CET)
Restructure categories[edit source]
Currently, it is hard for me to understand the basis chosen for the categories on the main page. I would have expected a high level separation of tools and concepts and underneath related subcategories, e.g., TTS and voice assistants under tools. Dirk (talk) 22:16, 10 January 2022 (CET)
- Hi Dirk thanks for your feedback. I've created the categories as i thought they would be helpful while setting up the wiki. I'm open to adjust/add/remove categories as content is increasing here. So you would think on "OVT (Main category) --> Tools --> Voice Assistant" for example? --Thorsten (talk) 07:20, 11 January 2022 (CET)
"Quality datasets" heading change[edit source]
The heading in categories is a bit misleading. Quality datasets takes us to Building quality dataset page. I suggest replacing "Quality datasets" with "Building voice datasets". I think also quality should be part of any useful dataset so we can skip that word too.
Building a dataset for TTS is a very important and not very simple topic, that can be added to categories. For many small languages this is the main barrier of entry.
- You mean renaming page Quality_datasets to just "Voice Datasets". Maybe we can skip the "Building". What do you think? --Thorsten (talk) 18:06, 11 January 2022 (CET)
I think keeping "Building" is important if we include "how to" information in the page being referred to. If we say only "Voice datasets" then that page should include a list of ready-made available datasets. --Nmammedov 18:06, 21 January 2022 (CET)
Comprehensive TTS tutorial for newcomers[edit source]
Please add the page which will include information for totally new beginners who don't know much about TTS but who are ready to commit time and energy to achieve the final result. The page will focus on
- general introduction to TTS to prepare users mentally
- building text dataset, text selection, editing, cleaning tips
- building voice dataset, recording tips
- training process, hardware software and other tips
- testing/deploying the model
- disseminating for public and using in other web/mobile applications
The purpose of the tutorial is to make it as simple as possible for beginners and make sure that all stages of TTS from A-Z are covered. --Nmammedov 18 February 2022 (CET)